Wednesday 22 April 2015

annoying comments

Yesterday when I was working at the bank, a customer who I know quite well took the opportunity to point out how thin one of the other workers at the bank was and then also commented on my size as well. I honestly don't understand why people think it is ok to comment on people who are thin but then consider commenting on an overweigh persons weight as rude. There really is no difference.



I have had people say the following sorts of things to me;

"Why are you so skinny"
"You are too skinny"
"When's the last time you ate something"
"Don't go outside, you would get blown away"
"You wouldn't eat chocolate or icecream, look at you"
"You shouldn't be eating that, go eat a chocolate bar"
"You should gain some weight"

I mean seriously, do people really not realise that I don't need to me reminded I am thin? Don't get me wrong, I don't get really upset over these types of comments anymore and am really used to them as it happens all the time but it is still annoying. Can you imagine if I answered back to the person "I don't know why are you so fat?"  I could never do this as I know that it is wrong but maybe it would make them realise that it isn't really ok for them to make comments about other peoples appearance, unless of course they are complimenting someone.



It makes me feel sorry for not only those suffering from eating disorders but also the people who have something else wrong with them or who are naturally really thin. I know it is rare, but some people (not me) are naturally underweight (like the other lady at the bank and even my dad). Oneday I will be weight restored and won't have to put up with these comments anymore but people who are naturally underweight have to put up with these comments forever and i'm sure they find them just as annoying as I do.

I guess there is no real answer as something we can't do is control what other people say but please, if people are rude enough to comment on your appearance, try not to let it bother you. Maybe deep down they are just insecure about the way they look themselves. As for what to say to people when they make these types of comments, i'm afraid I don't have a great answer. I still struggle finding a response to these types of comments but if anyone else has any advice, please comment below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment