Friday 8 May 2015

Day 5: How do you want to be remembered

I can imagine that lots of people in my position would not want to be remembered for there eating disorder but this is not completely the case for me. I want to be remembered as the girl who did have anorexia, was able to recover and them go on to live a perfectly healthy and happy life.

Anorexia is an incredibely awful illness. It is the mental illness with the highest death rate and its mortality rate is even higher than that of some cancers. The reason why so many sufferers dont survive is because it is just so hard to overcome. I have been in the position whereby I felt as though recovering was completely impossible and had accepted I would die with the illness and know how awful it feels to lose all hope.

I dont mind if people remember me for my eating disorder in the future because I cant really be remembered for my recovery, without being remembered for being sick as well. The only reason I found hope that recovery was possible was through reading blogs of recovered anorexics. The girls in these blogs were living evidence for me that recovery is possible. Without being shown that recovery was possible, I probably would never have started my recovery journey and I would not be alive today.

Like these girls who inspired me to recover, I too want to be living evidence that recovery is possible. That you are never too sick to recover and that there is always hope. In the future I want to be able to help other people suffering from anorexia as I honestly dont think there is enough help and support for people with eating disorders. I know that in order to help others oneday I firstly need to help myself and fully recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment